ERROR:Web deployment task failed.((11/20/2011 11:42:16 PM) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer.
If you get the above error when trying to publish via Web Deploy in Visual Studio, most likely you have set Visual Studio or Web Deploy to update the ACLs for your site. Doing so will break the setup for using Web Deploy and cause you to return errors (and also not be able to publish). To confirm this is the issue, you can do the following:
- Review the Visual Studio Log files for the deploy. If you see the following then complete the steps in this article:
- If you are not sure of how to check logs within Visual Studio, you may test publishing with Web Deploy via WebMatrix. If publishing via Web Deploy with WebMatrix works but Visual Studio has an issue, do the steps in this article.
- If you cannot locate the error cause in Visual Studio and/or are not able to publish via Web Deploy within WebMatrix, please Submit a Support Ticket about your issue. Make sure to provide the domain with the issue and provide as much data as you can regarding the error.
Preventing Visual Studio and Web Deploy from Modifying ACLs:
- First, make a full backup of your project (if you do not already have one) in case you make a mistake in your manual editing. If you are not sure how to do this step, ask your Developer for assistance.
- Second, we need to determine the Configuration and Platform for the project. To do this:
- Open the project in Visual Studio.
- Right click the project in Visual Studio.
- Select Package/Publish Settings.
- Review the Configuration and Platform drop-down (radial) menus. Note what they are set to.
- Locate your project file for the Web Application within Visual Studio(if you aren't sure what or where this file is located, ask your Developer to assist you with locating it).
- Edit the file.
- Look for the following line in the project file (for the example, we are assuming that the Configuration was set to Active (Release) and the Platform was set to Active (Any CPU)):
- Add the following line to the file, right above theclosing tag:
- Save the project file.
Now that we have those settings, you have the data you need to locate the section that you will add a line to.
The next time you publish your project, it won't make any ACL changes on the remote server and all your existing NTFS permissions will remain intact.