The following process discusses how to publish in WebMatrix using Web Deploy to your domain at Gearhost as well as how to deploy to sub-domains as well.
- You must have a CloudSites account with Gearhost. Order a CloudSites Account
- You must have WebMatrix Installed on your computer. Download WebMarix
- You must have a domain added in your myCloud Control Panel. Add a Domain in myCloud
- You must have a Web User which you create in your myCloud Control Panel. Create Web User
- If you are using a CMS that requires a database you will need a database. Create a CloudSites Database
Connecting to Gearhost using WebDeploy
1. Open WebMatrix and load your Project/Site.
2. Navigate to the Remote tab and click on Settings.
3. Click the Enter Settings option to input the data manually.
4. Fill in the fields with the information supplied below.
Note: Be sure to replace our example data with your own.
- Protocol: Select Web Deploy
- CloudSites v3: https://webdeploy.v3.cloudsites.gearhost.com:8172/msdeploy.axd
- CloudSites v2: https://webdeploy.cloudsites.gearhost.com:8172/msdeploy.axd
- User name: A username you created in the User Manager section in myCloud. Create Web User
- Password: The password given to the Web User above.
- Site name: Your domain.
- Destination URL: Your domain as viewed in a browser with port included. Port 80 is the default.
Note: If you are publishing to a sub-domain be sure to add the folder for the sub-domain in the webroot folder of the main domain via FTP. Then add the sub-domain folder to the end of the Site Name and Destination URL section above.
5. For the Database section either enter the information manually or copy the connection string from the details section for that database in the Database Management section of myCloud. Manage a CloudSites Database
- Server: This is listed as DB Server Location in the Database Details page.
- Database: The name of your database.
- User: The same as the name of the database.
- Password: This is the Database Password in the Database Details page.
6. Once everything is filled out click the Validate Connection button. When the connection is successful click Save.
Note: If you have a MySQL database, this page may report a connection failure. Ignore the failure and click Save
7. This will take you back to the home page for your site in WebMatrix. Click the Publish button.
8. On the Publish Compatibility page click Yes.
9. When the test completes click Continue.
10. WebMatrix will then check for differences between the files on your computer and the files on our server. You will have an option to deselect any files you do not with to upload. Click Continue.
11. When the publish completes you will see a Publishing - Complete message at the bottom of WebMatrix.