How to install PHP on your Dedicated Server
This article will walk you through the steps we use to install php onto all of our dedicated windows based servers. Please note that this is written with the assumption that you will be using our pre-configured ini file (you can obtain a copy of this by requesting it through a support ticket at support.gearhost.com). If you do not wish to use our .ini file then you can simply follow step 1 and then the rest of the steps will be up to you, as the installer is built to assist in configuring your php set up.
1. RDP into your server, open internet explorer and go to http://windows.php.net/download/ to download the latest vc9 x86 non-thread safe windows installer, and then run it.
2. Click next and agree to the terms. The next option you will have is what directory you wish to install php into. You will need to use c:\php\ to use our .ini file.
3. Select the top radio button to install php as IIS FastCGI.
4. Click on the Script Executable option and make sure you select Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive.
5. (this step is optional) Click the + sign next to extras and expand it. Click on any of the options you wish to install and select the "will be installed on local hard drive" option. It is not recommended to install the php manual as it simply takes up space but if you think you will need it for debugging purposes feel free to select it as well.
6. Click Next, Click Install, Click Finish.
7. Go to start, click computer, click on your c:\ drive
8. Create a folder called GHSessions, and one called GHTemp.
9. You can now place the pre-configured php.ini file in your c:\php\ directory. (you will have requested this beforehand in a support ticket. If you have not please open a support ticket at support.gearhost.com and request a copy of it.)
10. Now you can either reboot your server or restart IIS to have the new config file be recognized and that's it!