Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 2008 Servers, comes with a default security setup that does not allow you to download files through the web browser. This is to prevent potential viruses, worms, malware etc from infecting the computer via file download. If you wish to download files using Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Server you will need to enable them under your security settings. Follow the steps below.
1. Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools and then Internet Options.
2. Click on the security tab and uncheck the box next to "Enable Protected Mode".
3. Close all Internet Explorer 8 (IE 8) windows and then open IE 8.
4. Click on Tools and then Internet Options again.
5. Click on the button for Custom Level.
6. Scroll down to the Downloads section.
7. Under File Download click on the bubble next to Enable then click on OK to close the Security Settings window and OK again to close the Internet Options Window.
You will now be able to download files using Internet Explorer 8.